Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Topical Tuesday #78 - Creating with Sticky-Back Canvas



Hi there,

It's Marion here for this week's Topical Tuesday. Time has gotten away from me this week and I didn't have time to put together a video, so I have created a photo tutorial instead.
I have had some Claudine Hellmuth sticky-back canvas (a product from Ranger) in my stash for a very long time and I thought today would be the perfect opportunity to play with it. As the name suggests, it is a canvas material that has adhesive on the back. You can put it through your printer, paint on it, ink it, use markers on it, die cut it and the list goes on. Today I have heat embossed it and then used distress inks.

Follow as I step you through my process.

Step 1: 
Cut a piece of sticky back canvas to 5cm by 8cm. It cut beautifully in my paper trimmer.

Step 2: 
Using Versamark ink, I stamped an image from the AnnaBelle Stamps Remember When stamp set. I sprinkled on some AnnaBelle Stamps Opaque White embossing powder and heat set with a heat tool.

Step 3: 
Using Peacock Feathers Distress ink and a blending tool, I applied ink all over the canvas until I had the desired coverage. I just love how the white image pops off the canvas.

 Step 4:
This step wasn't necessary, but I then spritzed the canvas with water. Distress Inks react with water and I wanted to make sure the colour blended evenly. Note: Don't dry with a heat tool as you don't want to reheat the embossing powder and over heat it.

 Step 5: 
Taking off the release paper from the sticky-back canvas, I adhered it to my work surface. Using a Distress Ink marker in the colour of Pine Needles (any type of marker would work) I added some shading to the image. My canvas wasn't quite dry and it did bleed outside the image, but that didn't worry me. I also frayed the edge of my canvas by pulling away some threads (I found using a pair of tweezers helped to do this).


Step 6: 
Use your canvas piece as a focal point on a card. I stamped the AnnaBelle Stamps Backgrounds By Design #6 stamp set over a piece of white cardstock using Antique Linen Distress Ink. I also applied this ink around the edge of the panel. The sentiment came from the AnnaBelle Stamps Designer Flowers stamp set and was stamped in Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink. I then adhered this to a note card that I had coloured using Peacock Feathers Distress Ink. To finish of the card, I tied a bow using AnnaBelle Stamps 0.8mm white hemp twine and added some My Mind's Eye Enamel Accents for a pop of colour.



You may not have any sticky-back canvas in your stash, but maybe you could try stamping onto some heavy weight fabric. I would love to see your creations.  Please share them in the gallery over at the Ning House. For a full list of the supplies I have used today, please head over to my blog.
 
Thanks for stopping by,
Marion

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Marion. Great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial Marion, never thought of embossing on the canvas!!
    Love your colour choice too :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card. Marion. I love the colour! And also a very clever technique - great effect.

    ReplyDelete

We love having you visit, and we love reading your comments :) Thank you for taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails