Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Topical Tuesday: Masking



Happy New Year everyone, it's Marcia here and today I am going to share a project I made using the masking technique.

Whenever I think of masking, I go back to when I was learning to make cards and it was often the backgrounds of my images that were created using masking. You know, mask out the person and then stamp a background image of fence, some grass and plants. Today's project shows masking inside the image as well as creating a somewhat different kind of background.

 photo TT0401_start_zpscf934c5e.jpg

I've used the little lady from the stamp set Lil Molly's Flowers as my main image in this card. I have also used a couple of BBD stamp sets as well.

Now for masking, you will need a mask - there are plenty of masking papers and sticky sheets on the market, but for me I use plain Post It notes.

 photo TT0401_1_zps1babcfd0.jpg

Stamp your image onto some blending cardstock as well as a pile of Post It notes

 photo TT0401_3_zps46ad6129.jpg

With one of the post it notes, cut out Molly's dress only and place the mask onto your stamped cardstock.

 photo TT0401_4_zps5b0a5e36.jpg

Using the mottled spot stamp from BBD5, stamp the dots over the dress.

 photo TT0401_5_zps74312f96.jpg

Remove the mask and cover Molly with another Post It, masking her out completely. Using the text background from BBD6, mask a background as shown below

 photo TT0401_6_zpsbe739105.jpg

Using Copics, I have coloured Molly in to match my printed papers - I've also outlined the coloured image in some warm greys to create some shadowing behind her.

Trim your image down and add it to a card. Here's the finished product ... which secretly is going to my little lady who turns 12 on Thursday.

 photo TT0401_final_zps4a451ff1.jpg
Masking is a great way to add details to a stamped image, to create different and interesting backgrounds and to add elements where you otherwise might not be able to. It can be a bit fiddly but the time taken can produce some great results.
Don't forget Andrea's sale on at the moment ... there is 30% off everything in store ... use the coupon at checkout to get your savings ...  down30
Products used:
Annabelle Stamps Lil Molly's Flowers
Annabelle Stamps BBD5
Annabelle Stamps BBD6
Printed paper from Kaisercraft
Copic Colours RV34, RV32, RV11 (Dress), E00, E50, E51, E53, E97, R20 (Skin and Hair), W3, W1 (shadowing)

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet card Marcia, I'm sure your daughter will love it. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

We love having you visit, and we love reading your comments :) Thank you for taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails